The Language Preservation Coordinator is responsible for the planning, development, implementation, of the Home-based Language
The Language Preservation Coordinator is responsible for the planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of the Home-based Language Preservation Program that promotes the fluency of Tribal Members in the home language, Katishtya. This position will act as the primary liaison between the Education Director, Governing Administration and Tribal Council in fulfilling the goals of the Indian Education Act grant.
• Recruits Katishtya language speakers to become certified as Home-based Katishtya Language Instructors.
• Assists language instructors to apply for their Support Provider Licensure for Native American Language and Culture (520 Certification) through the New Mexico Public Education Department.
• Assists with the hiring process for language instructors.
• Conducts group and individual evaluation sessions with language instructors, families, and programs to identify program successes and challenges.
• Coordinates bi-monthly meetings between the Education Department, Katishtya Language and Culture Committee, Child Care Program, and Head Start.
• Ensures instructor compliance with quarterly assessment of program participants.
• Creates promotional materials in written and electronic forms.
• Recruits families to participate in home-based language lessons and monitors participation and outcomes.
• Conducts interviews with families who exit the program.
• Creates program forms for intake and evaluation.
• Utilizes various methods of outreach to the Pueblo of San Felipe Community, including social media.
• Develops Memorandums of Understanding with Pueblo of San Felipe Tribal Departments and programs to promote the Home-based Language Preservation Program.
• Establishes strict timelines to meet the goals and objectives of the Indian Education Act grant
• Provides monthly grant status reports to the Katishtya Language and Culture Committee and program partners.
• Responsible for the fiscal management of the Home-based Katishtya Language Preservation grant.
• Ensures compliance with grant reporting requirements.
• Coordinates the implementation of the Home-based Language Preservation Classes and works directly with Keres Language Instructors to assess and modify program as required.
• Collects, analyzes and interprets program data.
• Coordinates quarterly family gatherings and group activities for program participants and staff.
• Coordinates quarterly program visits with 4 Pueblo home-based language preservation programs.
• Determines appropriate assessments, curricula and materials for use by program instructors.
• Identifies professional development opportunities related to language revitalization and instruction.
• Assists with the coordination of Katishtya Language and Culture Committee Meetings.
• Develops and maintains a system of organization for historical data as relates to language initiatives.
• Develops and coordinates language instructor orientation and training.
• Makes presentations to leadership, community, and departments as required.
• Education: HS Diploma or equivalent required. Associate degree or higher preferred.
• Experience/Basic Knowledge: Must be able to speak and understand Keres and have a solid understanding of the Pueblo of San Felipe culture. Must have good writing skills and the ability to solve basic math problems. Must have experience using a computer, word processing software and email.
• Required Licenses/Certifications: A valid driver’s license is required. Must be certified as a Pueblo of San Felipe Keres Language Instructor within 1-month of employment.
• Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to sit for long periods of time. Ability to lift, bend, and stoop. Local travel using a personal and department vehicle is required.
• Preferences: San Felipe Preference and Veteran’s Preference.
Works in office. Sits for long periods of time at a desk using a desktop computer.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions or to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.